Frequently Asked Questions

If I am currently or have been a Certified Officer in another state, would you accept my training in lieu of Wyoming training? 


Please contact the Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) office at 307-358-8213.  They will review your records to make this determination.  The Patrol Administrator will, on an individual basis, determine the final training required for an individual.   


Do you have off-site testing provisions for testing?


We do not have any off-site testing provisions.


Will I work alone on the road or with a partner?


A Wyoming Highway Patrol Trooper routinely works on his/her own without any readily available assistance from other Troopers. Oftentimes, a Trooper is many miles away from any city or town. Therefore, a Trooper must be mentally and physically prepared to deal with any situation until additional manpower arrives. As with every other aspect of law enforcement, we train every Cadet to handle these kinds of situations. However, it also requires self-confidence, which can only come from within one's self.


Do I have to reside at the academy during training?


The academy is a paramilitary, college-style environment. We require recruits/cadets to reside at the academy from Sunday evening through Friday afternoon. Those electing to travel home or to stay at another location on weekends may do so. However, the cost of lodging will not be reimbursed nor paid by the State.

Do you have an aircraft program?


We do not have any pilot positions within the Patrol. We have not had an aircraft program for many years.


What type of shifts does Trooper's work?


Shifts can vary from division to division: some divisions rotate from day shift to night shift every 4 or 6 weeks. Troopers work days, nights, weekends, and holidays. 

A typical shift example: 

6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. If on day shift you are on call from 3:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.

2:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. If on night shift you are on call from 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 a.m.


Can I request a specific duty station?


Troopers must be willing to serve anywhere in the State of Wyoming as deemed necessary by the Colonel to best facilitate the needs of the Wyoming Highway Patrol and its functions. As a result, we cannot routinely guarantee duty station assignments. However, we do make every effort to station Troopers, including Cadets, in areas where they desire to be. As such, we do solicit input from Cadets and do allow transfers for veteran officers, as vacancies permit.


How do I request a ride-along with a Trooper?


Any request for a ride-along must be coordinated through the Captain for the area you wish to have the ride-along.


CHEYENNE: Captain Simmons 307-745-2126                         


CASPER: Captain Dickerson 307-473-3231


ROCK SPRINGS: Captain Guenther 307-352-3108               


SHERIDAN: Captain Schlosser 307-674-2317


CODY: Captain Pittsley 307-568-3447


Is a Detention Officer considered a Certified Officer?  


A Detention Officer is not a Certified Peace Officer.


If my driver's license has been suspended, revoked, etc., within the last three years, when can I test with the Wyoming Highway Patrol? 


Applicants cannot test until three years have passed from the ending date of any suspension period.