CDL and DOT Medical Questions?  Call 307-777-4800 option #4 for a representative, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, closed holidays.

Commercial Drivers License (CDL)

Generally, if the vehicle you drive has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, or is designed to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver), or you transport hazardous material in an amount which must be placarded, then you are required to have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate that vehicle. If you need more detailed information to determine if you are required to hold a CDL, please refer to the “Do I Need a CDL?” chart.
Use the links at the left to find specific information concerning disqualifications, endorsements/class of licenses, testing, Commercial Learners Permit (CLP), and driver certification.
Do You Need a CDL-compressed.jpg

Federal DOT Medical Examiners Certification

A Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration physical is required when applying for a CDL unless exempted by FMCSA Part 390.3(f), 391.2, 391.68, and 398.3.  Information regarding this topic is available on the FMCSA website.  For more information on Driver Certification and its relationship to the Federal DOT Medical Examiners Certification, please visit the Driver Certification page.

Intrastate Waiver

For Commercial Driver License holders who are not physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle under Title 49 C.F.R. Part 391.41 due to vision, hearing or diabetes, or a driver with a loss or impairment of limbs (arms, hands, fingers, legs or feet), the State of Wyoming will review the medical history of the driver who wants to operate motor vehicles intrastate, solely within the State of Wyoming.
The National Certified Examiner’s statement must show that the driver’s medical condition is not likely to interfere with the driver’s ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle; and the doctor’s opinion is that the driver’s condition is likely to remain stable for the amount of time that the medical certificate is valid. 
The driver is required to obtain a U.S. Department of Transportation Medical Examiner’s Certificate from a National Registered Certified Examiner.  The section “Accompanied by a ____ waiver/exemption” shall be selected by the Medical Examiner, and the words “Intrastate”, “State” or “Wyoming” filled in the blank.  Upon approval, the State of Wyoming will place a Restriction of “K” on the Commercial Driver License holder’s license. 

Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Waivers

Drivers with physical impairments which affect their ability to safely operate CMVs according to their medical examiners, or with missing limbs (e.g., a hand or finger, an arm, foot or leg), are required to obtain SPE certificates.  Drivers in need of an SPE Waiver must contact FMCSA, as this is not a function of the State.

Questions regarding federal regulations for commercial drivers should be directed to or by calling 307-772-2305.

Contact Us

Questions or requests regarding CDL issues